Thursday, May 7, 2009

Selling Soap or Telling a Story?

As an art photographer I haven't spent a great deal of time shooting product shots. In my first career as a Television Producer, Director and Writer I did have many opportunities to shoot many products on video. I was asked to shoot some soaps and lotions for "Vanity Fair" magazine just recently. I wanted to not do the same old, same old so I tried to context the product with the resort that was providing Vanity Fair with their in-room offerings. The Sanctuary is a boutique Spa and Resort that caters to a very demanding clientele. Many high profile people come to stay because of its small size and its secluded feel. The Resorts mission is to provide a "natural and rejuvenating environment. I wanted my images of their room product offerings to reflect that message. I chose not to do the typical table top shot but to blend luxury with natural.


Challenging yourself to think about the mood your client wants to portray is no different to me than creating an art image. I ask myself what am I trying to say with this image? How do I want someone to respond to the image I'm creating, what story am I telling?


Photography to me is about story telling. Beautiful is good, beautiful and a story is better.


Barry Wolf

http//.www.barrywolf.com

No comments:

Post a Comment